mandag 28. april 2008

odaiba..daiba?

today I had a lonely but in a way, nice day.
after my morning rituals, I took the yamanote line to shimbashi station on the other side of the city.
there I changed means of transportation to something called; yurikamome.
this is more or less a public rollercoaster. it looks like the trains that connects terminals at big airports,
and it runs without driver, that way you can sit all the way up front!

the track is 10-30 meters above street level,
and it winds in between the skyscrapers..it`s marvellous!
at one point, two highways and this rollercoaster transportation track gather into a huge loop in three stories to climb to the level of the high bridge connecting tokyo and the artificial island odaiba/daiba.
my oh my...hard to describe.

odaiba is a place where you find architectural ugliness, the statue of liberty in 1:10..maybe, shoppingmalls with rather interesting interior design, empty parkinglots, couples seriously in love, a beach, bbq people playing the flute, vending machines containing icecream, trucks and the sea. when I got there, I realised I haven`t seen the sea for three months..only from planes and/or skyscrapers.
I like the ocean. I spent one hour on a bench reading and trying to draw a crane on the other side of the bay...drawing is back on my TO DO list..if you know what I mean.

someone told me that shigeru bans, "nomadic museum" was located on the island.
I spent a long time searching for it, but in the end I had to give up as usual.
with my record of not being able to locate the architecture I want to see, my future as an architectural guide seems dark, nor realistic or wanted. but for my own sake it would be nice if I manage to get a glimpse of some buildings before I leave. luckily I like to walk.


Ingen kommentarer: